Monday, December 24, 2007

Sugar

Hmmm. So I imagine the sugar coma is wearing off, or the excitement of the day. Something. Perhaps an inherent rebalancing of energies. Perhaps one can only feel so free in one day, so connected.

Bah. It's all the damn sugar.

Like standing on a beach, gawking, awestruck at the gorgeousness of it all. The sparkling sand, the motion of the sea, the joyful cries of the gulls, the wind pressing gently through the wispy fronds of palms...and then the swell rolls back and punches you square in the face and sends you crashing into the sopping wet grit, pinning you there breathless and terrified until it passes...

Yeah. It's the sugar.

It started with the pumpkin cheesecake and the Cougar Mountain cookies at the Puget Sound Blood Center this morning. Apparently decandently processed baked goods are a well-known therapeutic support for acute anemia and blood volume loss. Who knew?

Then there was the multiple samples of honey and jam as I meandered through Pike Place Market.

A few hours later, Tree presents me with a chocolate-coated sugar bomb known only as "the Zoka Bar". After I eat about half of it, she pulls it away from me and redirects me to an apple, claiming it only took her two bites of it before she felt sick. I kid you not, I felt myself just sort of flitter straight out of my mind for a good few hours, even after a full-on sushi dinner at Liberty. The waiter there had such a good sense of humor, allowing me to call him "Man-Cub" and beckon him multiple times. Hysterical giggling ensued. The trip to Walgreens' didn't help, especially since the first thing we saw was a gigantic (I mean, gigantic) remote control. But I did score some fantastic neon striped toe socks that you will have to ask very, VERY nicely if you wish to see me in them ( * Thanks Tree!!! * )

My consciousness began to fade into gray as Tree drove me home. As I sat numbly absorbed in reruns of "House" I nibbled a bit on the secret chocolate stash.

I don't really listen to myself when I tell myself "no".

So fucking help me when I get on a sugar binge.

No comments: