Thursday, October 11, 2007

Ponies




Yes, this morning has been that surreal.

After waking at 2am for no apparent reason, I wrote out my birth story for Normal Maternity, made chili for breakfast and lunch, got my period a whopping 10 days early, puttered off to class nearly falling asleep the entire way there.

No sooner do I stumble into Phys/Clin than I decide I'd much rather do this 8am class thing with a steaming hot cup of chai. I wander back out of class and down to the caf for a pick-me-up. Back in class, Kelsey and I are sitting back there fucking off when out of nowhere, Dr. Anderson says that you'll get into trouble if you saddle up your patients and ride them off into health. He was talking about letting symptoms pidgeon-hole you into thinking a patient has a certain kind of disease when in fact they have something much more serious going on. But Kels and I share the same perverted kink brain, and totally burst into fits of hysterics. The giggles don't let up, especially when the Doc goes on to say that the zebras and the gazelles don't like getting saddled, and they start to buck and kick and bite if you try. (The zebras and gazelles, in this metaphor, refer to all the wierd cancers and blood diseases that docs have a 1 in 5000 chance of seeing, as opposed to the pyelonephritis horses that a doc will see at least once a week).

So, remember kids: Don't put a saddle on your patients, unless they ask you very very nicely.

...and, back to our regularly scheduled programming: Pleurotus!!!

No comments: