Monday, October 15, 2007

Renewal

I found this book the other day that I had started reading well over two years ago. It's called, "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime." It's written in first-person narrative by a fifteen-year-old boy who is highly functioning with autism. As a teacher of such fascinating folk in my past life, I am finding this read totally captivating and pretty insightful into the workings of an autistic mind.

However, the first intriguing thing about this book has nothing to do with the book at all. When I started reading it years ago, I had marked my place with a slip of paper, upon which this quote was written:

"This is the miracle of creation, which in every second is one thing:

life and death joined in the same eternal dance.

It would be a catastrophe to exclude death from the dance.

That would guarantee a universe with no chance for renewal."

- from a book entitled Life After Death, author unknown.

I found this quote seredipitously appropriate: appropriate for autumn and the shedding time of the cycle, appropriate for the book I am reading, appropriate for acknowledging the three deaths of fellow colleagues this year, appropriate to the dead squirrel I found my cat munching on outside my front stoop.

In every death, there is hope of new life. Renewal.

No comments: